[nova][ptg] Allow compute nodes to use DISK_GB from shared storage RP by using aggregate relationship

Patil, Tushar Tushar.Patil at nttdata.com
Thu Nov 14 02:58:49 UTC 2019

On 11/13/2019 8:34 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
>> Me too. To be clear, I don't think operators would modify the above but
>> if so, they would need reshapes.

> Maybe not, but this is the kind of detail that should be in the spec and
> functional tests to make sure it's solid since this is a big
> architectural change in nova.

It depends on how the aggregates are created on the nova and placement side.

A) From placement point of view, operator can create a new aggregate and add shared storage RP to it (tag MISC_SHARES_VIA_AGGREGATE trait to this RP). The newly created valid UUID would then be set in the config option ``sharing_disk_aggregate`` on the compute node side. This aggregate UUID wouldn't be present in the nova aggregate. so it's not possible to add host to the nova aggregate unless a new aggregate is created on nova side.

B) If nova aggregates are synced to the placement service and say below is the picture:

Nova:

Agg1 - metadata (pinned=True)
 - host1
 - host2

Now, operator adds a new shared storage RP to Agg1 on placement side and then set Agg1 UUID in ``sharing_disk_aggregate`` on compute nodes along with ``using_shared_disk_provider`=True``, then it would add compute node RP to the Agg1 on the placement without any issues but when you want to reverse the configuration, using_shared_disk_provider=False, then it not that straight to remove the host from the placement/nova aggregate because there would be other traits set to compute RPs which could cause those functions stop working.

We had same kind of discussion [1] when implementing forbidden aggregates where we want to sync traits set to the aggregates but later it was concluded that operator will do it manually.

I will include the details Matt has pointed out in this email in my next patchset.

[1] : http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-June/006950.html

Regards,
tpatil

On 11/13/2019 8:34 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
> Me too. To be clear, I don't think operators would modify the above but
> if so, they would need reshapes.

Maybe not, but this is the kind of detail that should be in the spec and
functional tests to make sure it's solid since this is a big
architectural change in nova.

Matt

Disclaimer: This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged, confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying or forwarding.