[nova] track error migrations and orphans in Resource Tracker

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 21:21:08 UTC 2019

On 11/13/19 11:53, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 11/13/2019 1:43 PM, melanie witt wrote:
>> This is because the "get instance list by host" can miss instances
>> that are mid-migration, because of how/where we update the
>> instance.host field.
>
> Why not just filter out any instances that have a non-None task_state?
> Or barring that, filter out any instances that have an in-progress
> migration (there is a method that the ResourceTracker uses to get those
> kinds of migrations occurring either as incoming to or outgoing from the
> host).

Yeah, an earlier version of the patch was trying to do that:

https://review.opendev.org/#/c/627765/36/nova/compute/manager.py@8455

but it was not a complete list of all the possible migrating
intermediate states. We didn't know about the method the resource
tracker is already using for the same purpose, that we could re-use.

After some confusion on my part, we removed the task_state checks and
now I see we need to put them back. I'll find the RT method and comment
on the review.

Thanks for mentioning that.

-melanie