[tc] Add non-voting py38 for ussuri

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Nov 13 20:34:49 UTC 2019

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019, at 6:09 AM, Corey Bryant wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 5:56 PM Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com> wrote:
> > My non-TC take on this...
> >

> >  > Python 3.8 is available in Ubuntu Bionic now and while I understand it's too late to enable voting py38 unit tests for ussuri, I'd like to at least enable non-voting py38 unit tests. This email is seeking approval and direction from the TC to move forward with enabling non-voting py38 tests.
> >
> >  I think it would be great to start testing 3.8 so there are no surprises once we need to officially move there. But I would actually not want to see that run on every since patch in every single repo.
>
> Just to be clear I'm only talking about unit tests right now which are
> generally light on resource requirements. However it would be great to
> also have py38 function test enablement and periodic would make sense
> for function tests at this point. For unit tests though it seems the
> benefit of knowing whether your patch regresses unit tests for the
> latest python version far outweighs the resources required, so I don't
> see much benefit in adding periodic unit test jobs.

Wanted to point out that we've begun to expose resource consumption in nodepool to graphite. You can find per project and per tenant resource usage under stats.zuul.nodepool.resources at https://graphite.opendev.org. Unfortunately, I don't think we have per job resource tracking there yet, but previous measurements from log files do agree that unittest consumption is relatively low.

It is large multinode integration jobs that run for extended periods of time that have the greatest impact on our resource utilization.

Clark