[nova][ironic][ptg] Resource tracker scaling issues

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Mon Nov 11 14:53:06 UTC 2019

> Sharding with and/or within cells will help to some degree (and we are
> actively looking into this as you probably know), but I think that
> should not stop us from checking if there are algorithmic improvements
> (e.g. when collecting the data), or if moving to a different locking
> granularity or even parallelising the update are feasible additional
> improvements.

All of that code was designed around one node per compute host. In the
ironic case it was expanded (hacked) to support N where N is not
huge. Giving it a huge number, and using a driver where nodes go into
maintenance/cleaning for long periods of time is asking for trouble.

Given there is only one case where N can legitimately be greater than
one, I'm really hesitant to back a proposal to redesign it for large
values of N.

Perhaps we as a team just need to document what sane, tested, and
expected-to-work values for N are?

--Dan