[tc][ops] reviving osops- repos

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu May 30 20:55:52 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-30 15:23:43 -0400 (-0400), Mohammed Naser wrote:
[...]
> I've requested to move x/osops-* to openstack-operators/* in
> GitHub so that I can setup the appropriate mirroring in post
> pipeline (and then propose a patch to rename things inside Gerrit
> as well).
[...]

My only real concern (voiced already with perhaps far less brevity
in #openstack-tc) is that we should avoid leaving the impression
that software written by "operators" isn't good enough for the
openstack/ Git namespace. I want to be sure we remain clear that
OpenStack was, and still is, written by its operators/users, not by
some separate and nebulous cloud of "developers."

We already have plenty of repositories under openstack/ which are
maintained by SIGs and UC WGs/teams, so not everything there needs
to be a deliverable governed by the OpenStack TC anyway. If this
really is a collection of software written and maintained by the
operators of OpenStack then it should be fine alongside the rest of
the official OpenStack software. If it's not, then perhaps calling
it the "openstack-operators" organization is... misleading?
--
Jeremy Stanley