[OpenStack-I18n] [dev][horizon][docs][i18n]Horizon Taiwanese locale issue

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Wed May 29 15:35:30 UTC 2019

On 29/05/2019 16.29, Vadym Markov wrote:
> Hi,
>

> There is an issue with Taiwanese locale at least in Horizon. It would be
> good to get a feedback from i18n team according to OpenStack docs too.
>

> Speaking about Horizon, Chinese locales were renamed in Django 1.7 [1].
> Zh-cn became zh-Hans, and zh-tw became zh-Hant. Old names were marked as
> deprecated and finally removed in Django 1.11. Current supported Django
> versions are 1.11 and 2.0 [2]

What does this mean for stable branches? Is that a change only for
master (= train) or also for rocky and stein (those two are the only
branches under active translation)?

What is the situation about documents that are translated via sphinx? Is
there a similar change needed?

> It is not an issue for Chinese because django locale middleware does
> silent fallback from zh-cn to zh-Hans. But for Taiwanese it treats zh-tw
> as some unknown variant of zh-* and also does fallback to default zh-cn,
> which is wrong.
>

> Reported bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1830886
>

> Proposed solution is to migrate to new locale names everywhere in
> Horizon. Here are proposed steps to fix this issue:
>
>  1.
>
>     Zanata jobs reconfiguration
>
>  2.
>
>     Django-related backend stuff. Biggest, but easiest part because it
>     is well documented
>
>  3.
>
>     AngularJS. Quite old version is used, so we can hit some well
>     forgotten issues. Also, testing is complicated.
>
>  4.
>
>     Horizon.js components. It is the smallest part
>

> Other question will be thorougful testing of the bugfix.
>

> [1]
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.7/#language-codes-zh-cn-zh-tw-and-fy-nl
>
> [2]
> https://docs.openstack.org/horizon/latest/install/system-requirements.html

Andreas
   GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)