[placement] update 19-20

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri May 24 12:09:43 UTC 2019

HTML: https://anticdent.org/placement-update-19-20.html

Placement update 19-20. Lots of cleanups in progress, laying in the
groundwork to do the nested magic work (see themes below).

The poll to determine [what to do with the
weekly meeting](https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/vote.pl?id=E_9599a2647c319fd4&akey=12a23953ab33e056)
will close at the end of today. Thus far the leader is
office hours. Whatever the outcome, the meeting that would happen
this coming Monday is cancelled because many people will be having a
holiday.

# Most Important

The [spec for nested magic](https://review.opendev.org/658510) is
ready for more robust review. Since most of the work happening in
placement this cycle is described by that spec, getting it reviewed
well and quickly is important.

Generally speaking: review things. This is, and always will be, the
most important thing to do.

# What's Changed

* os-resource-classes 0.4.0 was released, promptly breaking the
   placement gate (tests are broken not os-resource-classes).
   [Fixes underway](https://review.opendev.org/661131).

* [Null root provider
   protections](https://review.opendev.org/657716) have been removed
   and a blocker migration and status check added. This removes a few
   now redundant joins in the SQL queries which should help with our
   ongoing efforts to speed up and simplify getting allocation
   candidates.

* I had suggested an additional core group for os-traits and
   os-resource-classes but after discussion with various people it
   was decided it's easier/better to be aware of the right subject
   matter experts and call them in to the reviews when required.

# Specs/Features

* <https://review.opendev.org/654799>
   Support Consumer Types. This is very close with a few details to
   work out on what we're willing and able to query on. It's a week
   later and it still only has reviews from me so far.

* <https://review.opendev.org/658510>
   Spec for Nested Magic. Un-wipped.

* <https://review.opendev.org/657582>
   Resource provider - request group mapping in allocation candidate.
   This spec was copied over from nova. It is a requirement of the
   overall nested magic theme. While it has a well-defined and
   refined design, there's currently no one on the hook implement
   it.

These and other features being considered can be found on the
[feature
worklist](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/594).

Some non-placement specs are listed in the Other section below.

# Stories/Bugs

(Numbers in () are the change since the last pupdate.)

There are 20 (-3) stories in [the placement
group](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project_group/placement).
0 are [untagged](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/580).
2 (-2) are [bugs](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/574). 5 are
[cleanups](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/575). 11
(-1) are [rfes](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/594).
2 are [docs](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/637).

If you're interested in helping out with placement, those stories
are good places to look.

On launchpad:

* Placement related nova [bugs not yet in progress](https://goo.gl/TgiPXb)
   on launchpad: 16 (0).

* Placement related nova [in progress bugs](https://goo.gl/vzGGDQ) on
   launchpad: 7 (+1).

# osc-placement

osc-placement is currently behind by 11 microversions. No change
since the last report.

Pending changes:

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/640898/>
   Add 'resource provider inventory update' command (that helps with
   aggregate allocation ratios).

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/651783/>
   Add support for 1.22 microversion

* <https://review.openstack.org/586056>
   Provide a useful message in the case of 500-error

# Main Themes

## Nested Magic

At the PTG we decided that it was worth the effort, in both Nova and
Placement, to make the push to make better use of nested providers —
things like NUMA layouts, multiple devices, networks — while keeping
the "simple" case working well. The general ideas for this are
described in a [story](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2005575)
and an evolving [spec](https://review.opendev.org/658510).

Some code has started, mostly to reveal issues:

* <https://review.opendev.org/657419>
   Changing request group suffix to string

* <https://review.opendev.org/657510>
   WIP: Allow RequestGroups without resources

* <https://review.opendev.org/657463>
   Add NUMANetworkFixture for gabbits

* <https://review.opendev.org/658192>
   Gabbi test cases for can_split

## Consumer Types

Adding a type to consumers will allow them to be grouped for various
purposes, including quota accounting. A
[spec](https://review.opendev.org/654799) has started. There are
some questions about request and response details that need to be
resolved, but the overall concept is sound.

## Cleanup

As we explore and extend nested functionality we'll need to do some
work to make sure that the code is maintainable and has suitable
performance. There's some work in progress for this that's important
enough to call out as a theme:

* <https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2005712>
   Some work from Tetsuro exploring ways to remove redundancies in
   the code. There's a [stack of good improvements](https://review.opendev.org/658778).

* <https://review.opendev.org/643269>
   WIP: Optionally run a wsgi profiler when asked.
   This was used to find some of the above issues. Should we make it
   generally available or is it better as a thing to base off when
   exploring?

* <https://review.opendev.org/660691>
   Avoid traversing summaries in _check_traits_for_alloc_request

Ed Leafe has also been doing some intriguing work on using graph
databases with placement. It's not yet clear if or how it could be
integrated with mainline placement, but there are likely many things
to be learned from the experiment.

# Other Placement

Miscellaneous changes can be found in [the usual
place](https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:openstack/placement+status:open).

There are several [os-traits
changes](https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:openstack/os-traits+status:open)
being discussed.

# Other Service Users

New discoveries are added to the end. Merged stuff is removed.
Starting with the next pupdate I'll also be removing anything that
has had no reviews and no activity from the author in 4 weeks.
Otherwise these lists get too long and uselessly noisy.

* <https://review.openstack.org/552924>
   Nova: Spec: Proposes NUMA topology with RPs

* <https://review.openstack.org/622893>
   Nova: Spec: Virtual persistent memory libvirt driver
   implementation

* <https://review.openstack.org/641899>
   Nova: Check compute_node existence in when nova-compute reports
   info to placement

* <https://review.openstack.org/601596>
   Nova: spec: support virtual persistent memory

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1790204>
   Workaround doubling allocations on resize

* <https://review.openstack.org/645316>
   Nova: Pre-filter hosts based on multiattach volume support

* <https://review.openstack.org/647396>
   Nova: Add flavor to requested_resources in RequestSpec

* <https://review.openstack.org/633204>
   Blazar: Retry on inventory update conflict

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/count-quota-usage-from-placement>
   Nova: count quota usage from placement

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1819923>
   Nova: nova-manage: heal port allocations

* <https://review.openstack.org/648665>
   Nova: Spec for a new nova virt driver to manage an RSD

* <https://review.openstack.org/625284>
   Cyborg: Initial readme for nova pilot

* <https://review.openstack.org/629142>
   Tempest: Add QoS policies and minimum bandwidth rule client

* <https://review.openstack.org/648687>
   Nova-spec: Add PENDING vm state

* <https://review.openstack.org/650188>
   nova-spec: Allow compute nodes to use DISK_GB from shared storage RP

* <https://review.openstack.org/651024>
   nova-spec: RMD Plugin: Energy Efficiency using CPU Core P-State control

* <https://review.openstack.org/650963>
   nova-spec: Proposes NUMA affinity for vGPUs. This describes a
   legacy way of doing things because affinity in placement may be a
   ways off. But it also [may not
   be](https://review.openstack.org/650476).

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:heal_allocations_dry_run>
   Nova: heal allocations, --dry-run

* <https://review.opendev.org/656448>
   Watcher spec: Add Placement helper

* <https://review.opendev.org/659233>
   Cyborg: Placement report

* <https://review.opendev.org/657884>
   Nova: Spec to pre-filter disabled computes with placement

* <https://review.opendev.org/657801>
   rpm-packaging: placement service

* <https://review.opendev.org/657016>
   Delete resource providers for all nodes when deleting compute service

* <https://review.opendev.org/654066>
   nova fix for: Drop source node allocations if finish_resize fails

* <https://review.opendev.org/660924>
   neutron: Add devstack plugin for placement service plugin

* <https://review.opendev.org/661179>
   ansible: Add playbook to test placement

* <https://review.opendev.org/656885>
   nova: WIP: Hey let's support routed networks y'all!

# End

As indicated above, I'm going to tune these pupdates to make sure
they are reporting only active links. This doesn't mean stalled out
stuff will be ignored, just that it won't come back on the lists
until someone does some work related to it.
freenode: cdent