[tripleo][kolla][osa][nova][deployment] Removing nova-consoleauth

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Fri May 24 11:12:14 UTC 2019

In my continued efforts to remove as much nova code as possible in one
cycle, I've set my sights on the 'nova-consoleauth' service. Since
Rocky [1], 'nova-consoleauth' is no longer needed and we now store and
retrieve tokens from the database. The only reason to still deploy
'nova-consoleauth' was to support cells v1 or to provide a window where
existing tokens could continue to be validated before everything
switched over to the new model, but we're also in the process of
removing cells v1 [2] and two cycles in quite a large window in which
to migrate things.

I've the work done from the nova side but before we can merge anything,
we need to remove support for nova-consoleauth from the various
deployment projects and anything else that relies on it at the moment.
I have talked to some folks internally about doing this in TripleO this
cycle and I have a (likely wrong) patch proposed against Kolla [3] for
this, but I haven't been able to figure out how/if OSA are deploying
the service and would appreciate some help here. I'd also like it if
people could let me know if there are any other potential blockers out
there that we should be aware of before we proceed with this.

Cheers,
Stephen

[1] https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/rocky/implemented/convert-consoles-to-objects.html
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/remove-cells-v1/