[nova] Validation for requested host/node on server create

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu May 23 22:02:15 UTC 2019

On 5/22/2019 5:13 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> 3. Validate both the host and node in the API. This can be broken down:
>
> a) If only host is specified, do #2 above.
> b) If only node is specified, iterate the cells looking for the node (or
> query a resource provider with that name in placement which would avoid
> down cell issues)
> c) If both host and node is specified, get the HostMapping and from that
> lookup the ComputeNode in the given cell (per the HostMapping)
>
> Pros: fail fast behavior in the API if either the host and/or node do
> not exist
>
> Cons: performance hit in the API to validate the host/node and
> redundancy with the scheduler to find the ComputeNode to get its uuid
> for the in_tree filtering on GET /allocation_candidates.
>
> Note that if we do find the ComputeNode in the API, we could also
> (later?) make a change to the Destination object to add a node_uuid
> field so we can pass that through on the RequestSpec from
> API->conductor->scheduler and that should remove the need for the
> duplicate query in the scheduler code for the in_tree logic.
>
> I'm personally in favor of option 3 since we know that users hate
> NoValidHost errors and we have ways to mitigate the performance overhead
> of that validation.
>
> Note that this isn't necessarily something that has to happen in the
> same change that introduces the host/hypervisor_hostname parameters to
> the API. If we do the validation in the API I'd probably split the
> validation logic into it's own patch to make it easier to test and
> review on its own.
>
> [1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/645520/
> [2]
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/2e85453879533af0b4d0e1178797d26f026a9423/nova/scheduler/utils.py#L528
>
> [3] https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/admin/availability-zones.html

Per the nova meeting today [1] it sounds like we're going to go with
option 3 and do the validation in the API - check hostmapping for the
host, check placement for the node, we can optimize the redundant
scheduler calculation for in_tree later. For review and test sanity I
ask that the API validation code comes in a separate patch in the series.

[1]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova/2019/nova.2019-05-23-21.00.log.html#l-104

Matt