[nova][dev][ops] server status when compute host is down

iain.macdonnell at oracle.com iain.macdonnell at oracle.com
Thu May 23 18:56:34 UTC 2019

On 5/23/19 11:32 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> As I said elsewhere in this thread, if you're proposing to add a new
> policy rule to change the 'status' field based on host_status, why not
> just tell people to open up the policy rule we already have for the
> host_status field so non-admins can see it in their server details? This
> sounds like an education problem more than a technical problem to me.

Because *that* implies revealing infrastructure status details to
end-users, which is probably not desirable in a lot of cases.

Isn't this as simple as not lying to the user about the *server* status
when it cannot be ascertained for any reason? In that case, the user
should be given (only) that information, but not any "dirty laundry"
about what caused it....

Even if the admin doesn't care about revealing infrastructure status,
the end-user shouldn't have to know that server_status can't be trusted,
and that they have to check other fields to figure out if it's reliable
or not at any given time.

     ~iain