[dev][all] note to non-core reviewers in all projects

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Tue May 21 17:25:57 UTC 2019

<Core / Leadership Hat> I 100% agree with Jeremy here. I also want to add
that a +1 without comment, even from a reviewer with no history, is an
indicator that the code was read. Everyone has to start somewhere. I am
100% ok with some bare/naked +1s as long as eventually those folks give
quality feedback (even as far as a -1 with a "hey this looks off" or a
no-score with a question). If it is a pattern of just +1 to their
friends/coworkers patches without review, I'll eventually ignore the +1s.

In short, I encourage +1 even without comment if it brings in new
contributors / reviewers. I hope that if there is a subsequent -1 on a
patch (or other comments) the reviewers giving the initial +1 will read the
comments and understand the reasoning for the -1 (-2, -1 workflow,
whatever).

I think what I am saying is: I hope we (as a community) don't chase folks
off because they +1'd without comment. Everyone starts somewhere