[ptg][kolla][openstack-ansible][tripleo] PTG cross-project summary

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Thu May 16 13:59:08 UTC 2019

On 5/16/19 3:53 PM, Mark Goddard wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2019 at 11:41, Cédric Jeanneret <cjeanner at redhat.com
> <mailto:cjeanner at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 5/7/19 11:07 AM, Mark Goddard wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > This is a summary of the ad-hoc cross project session between the
>     > OpenStack Ansible and Kolla teams.
>     >
>     > It occurred to me that our two teams likely face similar
>     challenges, and
>     > there are areas we could collaborate on. I've tagged TripleO also
>     since
>     > the same applies there.
>     >
>     > [Collaboration on approach to features]
>     > This was my main reason for proposing the session - there are features
>     > and changes that all deployment tools need to make. Examples coming up
>     > include support for upgrade checkers and IPv6. Rather than work in
>     > isolation and solve the same problem in different ways, perhaps we
>     could
>     > share our experiences. The implementations will differ, but
>     providing a
>     > reasonably consistent feel between deployment tools can't be a bad
>     thing.
>     >
>     > As a test case, we briefly discussed our experience with the upgrade
>     > checker support added in Stein, and found that our expectation of
>     how it
>     > would work was fairly aligned in the room, but not aligned with how I
>     > understand it to actually work (it's more of a post-upgrade check
>     than a
>     > pre-upgrade check).
>
>     Hello! I'm pretty sure the new Validation Framework can help here, since
>     we intend to provide a pre|post deploy|update|upgrade way to run
>     validations.
>
>     Feel free to ping me if you want (Tengu on #tripleo) - or just ask
>     questions in here :).
>
>     Since we want to extend the framework to not only cover tripleo and
>     openstack, that would be a good start with kolla imho :)
>
> Hi Cedric. The validation framework is based around this new tempest
> ansible role, correct? Presumably each deployment tool would provide a
> its own entry point on top of that. How does the pre/post deploy etc
> affect what validations are run? Is that up to the deployment tool, or
> defined in the ansible role, or somewhere else?

So for now we "only" have a (fairly) good integration with the
"openstack tripleo" subcommand[1].

Currently, we're mainly using plain ansible roles and playbook, being
launched by Mistral. We intend to allow non-Mistral runs (Work In
Progress) and, in not too far future hopefully, to provide a descent
python library within the tripleo-validations package for a better
integration.
It's still early, we still need to put things together, but if we can
already raise awareness and interest for this work, it will help getting
more involvement and time in order to provide a great bundle :).

If you want to know more, you can already have a look at the new doc[1].

Does it help a bit understanding the possibilities?

Cheers,

C.

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-docs/latest/validations/index.html
(note: we will probably add some more inputs in there)
--
Cédric Jeanneret
Software Engineer - OpenStack Platform