[glance][interop] standardized image "name" ?

Erno Kuvaja ekuvaja at redhat.com
Thu May 16 12:10:45 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 1:41 PM Brian Rosmaita <rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I really need to get caught up on my ML reading.
>
> On 4/11/19 6:40 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [snip]
> > It's just a shame that Glance doesn't show MD5 and not sha512 sums by
> > default...
>
> The Secure Hash Algorithm Support ("multihash") spec [0] for Glance was
> implemented in Rocky and provides a self-describing secure hash on
> images (in addition to the 'checksum', which is preserved for backward
> compatability.)  The default is SHA-512. See the Rocky release notes [1]
> for some implementation details not covered by the spec.
>
> The multihash is displayed in the image-list and image-show API
>
> The glanceclient has been using the secure hash for download
> verification since 2.13.0, with a fallback to the md5 'checksum' field
> if the multihash isn't populated.  (It also optionally allows fallback
> to md5 if the algorithm for the secure hash isn't available to the
> client; this option is off by default.)  See the 2.13.0 release notes
> [2] for details.
>
> [0]
>
> https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/glance-specs/specs/rocky/implemented/glance/multihash.html
> [1] https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/glance/rocky.html#new-features
> [2]
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/python-glanceclient/rocky.html#relnotes-2-13-0-stable-rocky
>
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Thomas Goirand (zigo)

I'm even much more late on this thread than Brian ever was. But as this
clearly did sidetrack a bit from the original, I'm gonna chip in something
that could help for the original request:

Original topic/request was the exact first usecase Searchlight team was
taking on with metadefs and Searchlight when it spun up within Glance.
Image names are what they are, freeform text that doesn't need to be unique
and likely will always be something you can get bit of an idea what it
might contain but will never be your reliable source of information what
that image actually contains. Please people, lets not try to reinvent the
wheel with something that's really not sufficient for the purpose and start
populating the metadata into the image records instead. That's why there is
plenty of metadefs so that information is structured and can be easily
parsed/searched by something like searchlight. If you look up for the first
Searchlight updates and demo's, finding your specific version of OS from
images or specific software stack (F.E. LAMP) preinstalled were there
literally from the first release.

Cheers,
Erno "jokke_" Kuvaja