[tc][all] Github mirroring (or lack thereof) for unofficial projects

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Wed May 15 17:51:10 UTC 2019

Hi Jim,

Jim Rollenhagen <jim at jimrollenhagen.com> wrote:
>On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 3:05 PM Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 08:48:10PM +0200, Roman Gorshunov wrote:
>> > Hello Jim, team,
>> >
>> > I'm from Airship project. I agree with archival of Github mirrors of
>> > repositories. One small suggestion: could we have project descriptions
>> > adjusted to point to the new location of the source code repository,
>> > please? E.g. "The repo now lives at opendev.org/x/y".
>> >
>> This is something important to keep in mind from infra side, once the
>> repo is read-only, we lose the ability to use the API to change it.
>>
>> From manage-projects.py POV, we can update the description before
>> flipping the archive bit without issues, just need to make sure we have
>> the ordering correct.
>
>Agree this is a good idea.

Just checking you saw my reply to the same email from Paul?

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-May/005846.html

>There's been no objections to this plan for some time now.

I might be missing some context, but I *think* my email could be
interpreted as an objection based on the reasons listed in it.

Also, the understanding I took away from the PTG session was that
there was consensus *not* to archive repos, but rather to ensure that
mirroring and redirects are set up properly.  However I am of course
very willing to be persuaded otherwise.

Please could you take a look at that mail and let us know what you
think?  Thanks!

Adam