[all][requirements][stable] requests version bump on stable brances {pike|queens} for CVE-2018-18074

Dirk Müller dirk at dmllr.de
Mon May 13 21:31:41 UTC 2019

Hi Jeremy,

> It's still unclear to me why we're doing this at all. Our stable
> constraints lists are supposed to be a snapshot in time from when we
> released, modulo stable point release updates of the libraries we're
> maintaining. Agreeing to bump random dependencies on stable branches
> because of security vulnerabilities in them is a slippery slope
> toward our users expecting the project to be on top of vulnerability
> announcements for every one of the ~600 packages in our constraints
> list.

I think this is combining two different viewpoints in one: "snapshot
in time" and "user expects
it to be updated asap on security vulnerabilities". We are already
updating upper-constraints
on bugfixes for projects that openstack maintains, and we do so
similarly for security fixes
for packages that are part of openstack. Also, distribution vendor
provided (non-pip installed bindeps)
are maintained and updated by security fixes.

> Deployment projects already should not depend on our
> requirements team tracking security vulnerabilities, so need to have
> a mechanism to override constraints entries anyway if they're making
> such guarantees to their users (and I would also caution against
> doing that too).

for traditional openstack deployment projects that might be well the
case. However several
virtualenv / container / dockerbuild based projects are using
upperconstraints to generate
a stable, coherent and tested container. Without adjustments those
will not be including
security fixes though.

> Distributions are far better equipped than our project to handle
> such tracking, as they generally get advance notice of
> vulnerabilities and selectively backport fixes for them.

Agreed, still OpenStack chose to use pip for managing its
dependencies, so I think it
is preferable to find a solution within that ecosystem. Not every
dependency with security
issues is so offensive as "requests" is which does not maintain any
stable branch but asks
you to update to the latest version instead. Most others do have
backports available
on micro versions as pip installable project.

> accomplish the same with a mix of old and new dependency versions in
> our increasingly aging stable and extended maintenance branches
> seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree it is a difficult exercise and we need to document a clear
policy. For me
documenting that it upper-constraints is maintained with security fix
version updates
as a best effort/risk bases is good enough, fwiw.

Greetings,
Dirk