[watcher][qa] Thoughts on performance testing for Watcher

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri May 10 14:21:39 UTC 2019

On 5/7/2019 10:26 PM, li.canwei2 at zte.com.cn wrote:
> Some notes:
>
> 1, Watcher updates its data model based nova versioned notifications, so you
>
>     should enable nova notification in your simulated environment.

Sure, this shouldn't be a problem in a devstack environment.

> 2, Watcher needs node name getting from CONF.host or socket.gethostname,
>
>     If you have two or more controller nodes they don't have same host name.

When you say "node name" do you mean the name of a nova-compute
hypervisor node, i.e. what is returned from "openstack hypervisor list"?
Or do you mean something specific to Watcher itself? The former is
already supported in devstack using fake computes [1].

> 3, Watcher doesn't consider nova cell, now watcher filter nodes through host
>
>    aggregate and zone. You can get more info by CLI cmd: watcher help
> audittemplate create

Yup, that's fine and is part of what I want to test. I wouldn't expect
Watcher to know anything about cells anyway since there is no REST API
or notification about those in nova.

> 4, Watcher needs metric data source such as Ceilometer, so your fake
> nodes and VMs
>
>     should have metric data.

Hmm, is this where the ceilometer agent pulls metric data from the
hypervisor (libvirt) directly? If so, that could be a problem for me if
I'm using the fake virt driver in devstack to do some scale testing
since that's not a real hypervisor. There would be notifications from
nova for servers getting created and deleted and such, but there
wouldn't be a real hypervisor to pull data from for the ceilometer agent.

Honestly I'd like to avoid using ceilometer at all if possible but I'm
also unfamiliar with gnocchi and monasca, but I'll probably try to get
one of those working first. Looking at the Watcher configuration I
shouldn't depend on ceilometer anyway since it looks like the datasource
is deprecated? [2] I am a little confused about that because the
configuration docs talk about using ceilometer (maybe those are just out
of date?) [3].

> 5,  For optimizing resource utilization, I think you could use strategy [1]

Thanks I'll try it.

> 6, There are two audit type:ONESHOT and CONTINUOUS in Watcher, you can get
>
>    more help by CLI cmd: watcher help audit create

Thanks for all of the help here.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/devstack/latest/guides/nova.html#scaling
[2]
https://docs.openstack.org/watcher/latest/configuration/watcher.html#ceilometer-client