[nova][neutron][ptg] Summary: Leaking resources when ports are deleted out-of-band

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu May 9 13:20:10 UTC 2019

On 5/9/2019 4:19 AM, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
> This sentence based on the reported bug [2]. The reason while Octavia
> is unbinding the port in Neutron instead of via Nova is that Nova fails
> to detach the interface and unbind the port if the nova-compute is
> down. In that bug we discussing if it would be meaningful to do a local
> interface detach (unvind port in neutron + deallocate port resource in
> placement) in the nova-api if the compute is done similar to the local
> server delete.
>
> [2]https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1827746

Oh OK I was confusing this with deleting the VM while the compute host
was down, not detaching the port from the server while the compute was
down. Yeah I'm not sure what we'd want to do there. We could obviously
do the same thing we do for VM delete in the API while the compute host
is down, but could we be leaking things on the compute host in that case
if the VIF was never properly unplugged? I'd think that is already an
issue for local delete of the VM in the API if the compute comes back up
later (maybe there is something in the compute service on startup that
will do cleanup, I'm not sure off the top of my head).

Matt