[tc] Proposal: restrict TC activities

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu May 9 12:24:31 UTC 2019

Emmet Hikory wrote:
> [...] As such, I suggest that the Technical Committee be
> restricted from actually doing anything beyond approval of merges to the
> governance repository.

If you look at the documented role of the TC[1], you'll see that it is
mostly focused on deciding on proposed governance (or governance
repository) changes. The only section that does not directly translate
into governance change approval is "Ensuring a healthy, open
collaboration", which is about tracking that the project still lives by
its documented values, principles and rules -- activities that I think
should also remain with the TC.

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/role-of-the-tc.html

Beyond that, it is true that some Technical Committee members are
involved in driving other initiatives (including *proposing* governance
changes), but I'd say that they do it like any other community member could.

While I think we should (continue to) encourage participation in
governance from other people, and ensure a healthy turnover level in TC
membership, I don't think that we should *restrict* TC members from
voluntarily doing things beyond approving changes.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)