[nova][ptg] Summary: Resource Management Daemon

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Wed May 8 16:28:24 UTC 2019

> [1] There has been a recurring theme of needing "some kind of config" -
> not necessarily nova.conf or any oslo.config - that can describe:
> - Resource provider name/uuid/parentage, be it an existing provider or a
> new nested provider;
> - Inventory (e.g. last-level cache in this case);
> - Physical resource(s) to which the inventory corresponds (e.g. "cache
> ways" in this case);
> - Traits, aggregates, other?
> As of this writing, no specifics have been decided, even to the point of
> positing that it could be the same file for some/all of the specs for
> which the issue arose.

A proposal extremely close to this has been in the works in various
forms for about a year now, the latest iteration of which can be found
at [2]. Up to this point, there has been a general lack of enthusiasm
for it, probably because we just didn't have any really strong use cases
yet. I think we do now, given that RMD and others (including [3]) have
expressed a need for it in Train.

As such, Dakshina and team have agreed to take over that spec and move
forward with it.

To be clear, this will drive toward a general-purpose resource provider
customization/description mechanism, not be RMD-specific.

efried

[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/612497/
[3]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-May/005802.html