topic: ironic boot from cinder volume(the cinder volume backend is ceph storage)

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed May 8 16:25:33 UTC 2019

I’m not sure you actually need full cinder support, see “Boot Without Cinder” in https://docs.openstack.org/ironic/latest/admin/boot-from-volume.html

(Never tried it though ….)
Tim

From: Jason Anderson <jasonanderson at uchicago.edu>
Date: Wednesday, 8 May 2019 at 18:17
To: "openstack-discuss at lists.openstack.org" <openstack-discuss at lists.openstack.org>, "jsbryant at electronicjungle.net" <jsbryant at electronicjungle.net>
Subject: Re: topic: ironic boot from cinder volume(the cinder volume backend is ceph storage)

Tim, Jay --

I looked in to this recently as it was a use-case some of our HPC users wanted support for. I noticed that Ceph has the iSCSI gateway, but my impression was that this wouldn't work without adding some sort of new driver in Cinder. Is that not true? I thought that Cinder only Ceph via RBD. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this.

Cheers,
/Jason