[TripleO][Validations] Tag convention

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Wed May 8 07:07:02 UTC 2019

On 5/7/19 6:24 PM, Mohammed Naser wrote:
> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 12:12 PM Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 4:44 PM Cédric Jeanneret <cjeanner at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> We're currently working hard in order to provide a nice way to run
>>> validations within a deploy (aka in-flight validations).
>>>
>>> We can already call validations provided by the tripleo-validations
>>> package[1], it's working just fine.
>>>
>>> Now comes the question: "how can we disable the validations?". In order
>>> to do that, we propose to use a standard tag in the ansible
>>> roles/playbooks, and to add a "--skip-tags <tag>" when we disable the
>>> validations via the CLI or configuration.
>>>
>>> After a quick check in the tripleoclient code, there apparently is a tag
>>> named "validation", that can already be skipped from within the client.
>>>
>>> So, our questions:
>>> - would the reuse of "validation" be OK?
>>> - if not, what tag would be best in order to avoid confusion?
>>>
>>> We also have the idea to allow to disable validations per service. For
>>> this, we propose to introduce the following tag:
>>> - validation-<service>, like "validation-nova", "validation-neutron" and
>>> so on
>>>
>>> What do you think about those two additions?
>>

>> Such as variables, I think we should prefix all our variables and tags with tripleo_ or something, to differentiate them from any other playbooks our operators could run.
>> I would rather use "tripleo_validations" and "tripleo_validation_nova" maybe.

hmm. what-if we open this framework to a wider audience? For instance,
openshift folks might be interested in some validations (I have Ceph in
mind), and might find weird or even bad to have "tripleo-something"
(with underscore or dashes).
Maybe something more generic?
"vf(-nova)" ?
"validation-framework(-nova)" ?
Or even "opendev-validation(-nova)"
Since there are also a possibility to ask for a new package name for
something more generic without the "tripleo" taint..

Cheers,

C.

--
Cédric Jeanneret