[TripleO][PTG] Validation summary

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Tue May 7 07:56:07 UTC 2019

Hello all,

Last Saturday, we had a session about two topics:
- Validation Framework
- In-flight validations

Here's a summary about the different discussions around those topics.

## Current state:

- all the existing validations within "tripleo-validations" have been
moved to the new format (proper ansible roles with dedicated playbook).
Big thumb up to the involved people for the hard work!

- Mistral runs them from the hard drive instead of using swift

- Possibility to run validations through the CLI using the new
"openstack tripleo validator" subcommand

- Possibility to run the validations directly with ansible-playbook

- Blog posts with demos and some explanations:
°
https://cjeanner.github.io/openstack/tripleo/validations/2019/04/24/validation-framework.html
°
https://cjeanner.github.io/openstack/tripleo/validations/2019/04/25/in-flight-validations.html
°
https://cjeanner.github.io/openstack/tripleo/validations/2019/04/26/in-flight-validations-II.html

## TODO
- Refactor tripleoclient code regarding the way ansible is called, in
order to allow bypassing mistral (useful if mistral is broken or not
available, like on a standalone deploy)

- Get more validations from the Services teams (Compute, Neutron, and so on)

- CI integration: get a job allowing to validate the framework (running
the no-op validation and group) as well as validations themselves

- Doc update (WIP: https://review.opendev.org/654943)

- Check how the tripleo-validations content might be backported down to
Pike or even Newton. We don't consider the CLI changes, since the
cherry-picks will be more than painful, and might break things in a
really bad way.

You can find the whole, raw content on the following pad:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-ptg-train-validations

In case you have questions or remarks, or want to dig further in the
topics present on that pad, feel free to contact me or just run a thread
on the ML :).

Cheers,

C.

--