[placement][nova][ptg] Summary: Consumer Types

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon May 6 09:33:36 UTC 2019

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 1:54 AM, Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org>
wrote:

> We had a brief conversation in the placement room yesterday
> (Saturday May 5th) to confirm we were all on the same page with
> regard to consumer types. These provide a way to say that a set of
> allocations "is an instance" or "is a migration" and will help with
> quota accounting.
>
> We decided that since no one has stepped forward with a more
> complicated scenario, at this time, we will go with the simplest
> implementation, for now:
>
> * add a consumer types table that has a key and string (length to be
>   determined, values controlled by clients) that represents a "type".
>   For example (1, 'instance')
>
> * add a column on consumer table that takes one of those keys
>
> * create a new row in the types table only when a new type is
>   created, don't worry about expiring them
>
> * provide an online migration to default existing consumers to
>   'instance' and treat unset types as 'instance' [1]. This probably
>   needs some confirmation from mel and others that it is suitable.
>   If not, please provide an alternative suggestion.

If there are ongoing migration then defaulting the consumer type to
instance might be incorrect. However nova already has a mechanism to
distingush between migration and instance consumer so nova won't break
by this. Still nova might want to fix this placement data
inconsistency. I guess the new placement microversion will allow to
update the consumer type of an allocation.

Cheers,
gibi