[placement][nova][ptg] Summary: Testing PlacementFixture effectively

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri May 3 20:16:57 UTC 2019

See also: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ptg-train-xproj-nova-placement

Nova uses the PlacementFixture (provided by placement) to be able to
do functional tests with a real placement API and database. This
works pretty well but we discovered during the run to the end of
Stein that seemingly unrelated changes in placement could break the
fixture and bring nova's gate to a halt. Bad.

Decision:

Placement will run nova's functional tests in its own gate on each
change. If it proves to save some time the api_sample tests will be
blacklisted. We do not want to whitelist as that will lead to
trouble in the future.

There was discussion of doing this for osc-placement as well, but
since we just saved a bunch of elapsed time with functional tests in
osc-placement with https://review.opendev.org/#/c/651939/ and
there's no integrated gate criticality with osc-placement, we
decided not to.

Action:

cdent will make a story and do this