[CI] nested virtualization support in OpenStack CI

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Sun Mar 31 10:03:34 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2019-03-30 at 16:14 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2019-03-28 01:42:24 +0000 (+0000), Guo, Ruijing wrote:
> > OpenStack CI runs on VM, which is not nested virtualization as:
> >
> > 2019-03-27 06:45:07.282 | flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
> > clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl cpuid pni pclmulqdq ssse3 cx16 sse4_1
> > sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes hypervisor lahf_lm pti
> >
> > however, I want to add new CI which depends on nested virtualization.
> > which team can help me?
>
> Currently the third bullet entry at
> https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/testing.html#known-differences-to-watch-out-for
> describes the situation with our CI resources. Our CI maintainers
> lack sufficient insight into the hardware, hypervisors and host
> kernels of the environments where these virtual machine resources
> are donated for our use. In particular, until the state of nested
> virtualization has stabilized long enough for it to become reliable
> with mixed LTS GNU/Linux distributions and aging servers in many
> public service providers, it's very hard for us to design for or
> recommend relying on with upstream testing. We try to coordinate
> with our donors to troubleshoot the various broken behaviors we
> observe where possible, but it's far from a trivial exercise.
so on the stablity of nested virt jobs in general i think we should
try to enable nested virt but perhaps make the jobs non voting in check
and excluded nested jobs from gate. that way we get some testing for things
we cant other wise test but if we hit kenel bugs its a non voting jobs so if it fails
it wont break the zuul jobs.