[nova] "future" specs and blueprints

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Thu Mar 28 21:28:21 UTC 2019

On Mar 28, 2019, at 4:02 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> I think the problem the backlog directory solves is that it gives core a way to give a soft no that makes contributors less upset. I don't see a lot of value in that though. If the spec is a no then just say no. If its a big enough problem for the proposer they can hold their own patches or fork nova, much as people such as StarlingX, HP, and Rackspace Public Cloud did back in the day.

IIRC, the backlog was for when people had an idea for a feature or improvement that had already been discussed and decided that it was potentially worthwhile, but was not going to be done in the current cycle. The benefit over putting it in the current cycle’s specs was that it didn’t attract reviewers and didn’t dilute the completed/proposed spec ratio, which some people were very concerned about. It also gave people a chance to “socialize” the idea without having to commit to creating a full spec.

That said, it was never very active and if it were to disappear I don’t think it would make any difference.

-- Ed Leafe