[nova] "future" specs and blueprints

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Thu Mar 28 18:29:29 UTC 2019

> On 3/28/2019 2:41 AM, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
>> I have no hard feelings about the backlog directory.
>>
>> We just need to make sure that we do some spring cleaning in that
>> directory for time to time. There could be features that make sense
>> today to put it to our backlog that will be invalidated by  design
>> decisions later.
>>
>> Also when movig a spec from backlog to approved directory  we need to
>> make sure to re-validate the assumptions in the spec based on the
>> actual state of nova.
>
> My thoughts exactly.

I definitely agree that we need a higher bar for moving something to
approved than just "we thought this was a good idea in the past." I feel
the same way about re-approving specs cycle-to-cycle, for what it's
worth.

Using the backlog directory is fine, but I don't really see any point in
doing that versus just leaving things as unmerged in Gerrit. I'm sure it
matters to someone, but merging something that meets the "sure, we can
put that in the backlog" bar at one point in time, which still needs to
be re-reviewed in order to put it in the "okay we will actually let this
in now" realm seems like not that useful of a dance to me.

Assuming it solves some not-obvious-to-me problem, as long as we retain
the re-review requirement then I guess I have no objection.

--Dan