[openstack-dev] Are we ready to put stable/ocata into extended maintenance mode?

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 18:20:15 UTC 2019

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 1:30 PM Alex Schultz <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 1:27 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The release page says Ocata is planned to go into extended maintenance mode
> > on Aug 27 [1]. There really isn't much to this except it means we don't do
> > releases for Ocata anymore [2]. There is a caveat that project teams that do
> > not wish to maintain stable/ocata after this point can immediately end of
> > life the branch for their project [3]. We can still run CI using tags, e.g.
> > if keystone goes ocata-eol, devstack on stable/ocata can still continue to
> > install from stable/ocata for nova and the ocata-eol tag for keystone.
> > Having said that, if there is no undue burden on the project team keeping
> > the lights on for stable/ocata, I would recommend not tagging the
> > stable/ocata branch end of life at this point.
> >
> > So, questions that need answering are:
> >
> > 1. Should we cut a final release for projects with stable/ocata branches
> > before going into extended maintenance mode? I tend to think "yes" to flush
> > the queue of backports. In fact, [3] doesn't mention it, but the resolution
> > said we'd tag the branch [4] to indicate it has entered the EM phase.
> >
> > 2. Are there any projects that would want to skip EM and go directly to EOL
> > (yes this feels like a Monopoly question)?
> >

> I believe TripleO would like to EOL instead of EM for Ocata as
> indicated by the thead
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/134671.html

Bringing this backup to see what we need to do to get the stable/ocata
branches ended for the TripleO projects.   I'm bringing this up
because we have https://review.openstack.org/#/c/647009/ which is for
the upcoming rename but CI is broken and we have no interest in
continue to keep the stable/ocata branches alive (or fix ci for them).

Thanks,
-Alex