[goal][python3] week R-3 update

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Mar 18 13:54:26 UTC 2019

This is the final update email for the python3-first goal for the Stein
development cycle [0].

We have achieved several benefits by completing the goal this cycle. Our
documentation, release notes, linter, and release artifact build jobs
use python 3 by default, most projects have unit tests running under
python 3.6, and most projects have some form of function or integration
test using python 3 [1]. All of those allow us to move forward with
allowing teams to drop python 2 support after the Train cycle [2].

Besides the python 3 benefits, teams have their Zuul settings in their
repository, which relieves a lot of the review burden on the centralized
infrastructure team and allows teams to more easily manage their test
jobs.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to writing and reviewing
patches. The community put in an immense amount of work on this goal
during Stein. We had over 4000 patches tagged "python3-first" created by
57 contributors and reviewed (and approved) by more than 200 reviewers.

I would like to extend a special thank you to our goal champions, Nguyễn
Trí Hải (nguyentrihai93 at gmail.com), Ma Lei (ma.lei at 99cloud.net), and
Huang Zhiping (huang.zhiping at 99cloud.net) for creating and shepherding
so many of those patches. And also to Andreas Jaegar, Clark Boylan, and
the rest of the infrastructure team for their assistance in planning the
Zuul migration and reviewing so many of the patches.

The work on this goal this cycle proves to me that when our community
comes together and focuses on a problem, we can make the big changes
necessary to solve it.

Thank you,
Doug

As mentioned earlier [3], I have abandoned the python3-first patches
that I proposed earlier this cycle and that have not been
merged. They're still there in gerrit, so if you find you need them it
should be possible for someone to recover them. I left the few patches
created by other authors alone [4].

[0] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html
[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3#Python_3_Status_of_OpenStack_projects
[2] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20180529-python2-deprecation-timeline.html