[nova] instance breaks the affinity/anti-affinity of server group with force_hosts or force_nodes

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 13:29:56 UTC 2019

On 3/14/2019 12:29 AM, Boxiang Zhu wrote:
> My openstack all-in-one environment is setup by devstack. I created a
> server-group with anti-affinity policy.
> Then an instance was created with this server-group successfully with
> command[1]. Another instance was also
> created with this server-group and with force_host successfully with
> command[2]. But if I did not specify the
> force_host, the instance failed to create[3].
>
> I think the second instance had broken the anti-affinity server-group.
>
> So my question is that whether the result is within design scope or it
> is a issue and needs to be discussed : )
>
> [1] nova boot <instance-name> --flavor <flavor> --image <image>
> --availability-zone <az> --security-groups <sec-group> --nic
> net-id=<net-id> --hint group=<server-group>
> [2] nova boot <instance-name> --flavor <flavor> --image <image>
> --availability-zone <az>:<host> --security-groups <sec-group> --nic
> net-id=<net-id> --hint group=<server-group>
> [3] nova boot <instance-name> --flavor <flavor> --image <image>
> --availability-zone <az> --security-groups <sec-group> --nic
> net-id=<net-id> --hint group=<server-group>

I assume [2] works because force_hosts is an administrative override
during server create. Did you create [2] after [1]? Or concurrently? It
does seem odd that [2] would pass the ServerGroupAntiAffinityFilter even
with the forced host. Seems that should be a 409 or 400 type of case.

The behavior with [3] is what I would expect, but haven't dug into the
code. Maybe the forced_host is overriding the requested server group?

Matt