[designate][heat][horizon][ironic][magnum][octavia][searchlight][senlin][vitrage][zaqar][zun] Upgrading nodejs version

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 07:00:18 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 8:15 AM Graham Hayes <gr at ham.ie> wrote:

> On 13/03/2019 22:57, Monty Taylor wrote:
> > Hey all!
> >
> > NodeJS version 4 isn't a supported version anymore - and what's more
> > there are no packages for it for bionic.
> >
> > To that end, all of the UI projects that are currently requesting
> > node_version: 4 in their npm jobs [0] or who are using any of the
> > templates that start with nodejs4- [1] are about to have a large amount
> > of sad.
> >
> > I would personally recommend updating to node_version: 10 - since that's
> > the most recent LTS and would give us until 2021-04-01 [2] before we
> > need to deal with things again.
> >
> > BUT - I don't have a real opinion on course of action - I figure that's
> > likely something to be discussed amongst the various UI projects. The
> > only thing I have an opinion on is that the outcome probably shouldn't
> > be "shrug, nodejs4 is fine". :)
>
> Yeah - that sounds like something we should upgrade. Is there any
> preferred way the horizon team has for us to update this? Any
> known pitfalls?
>
> I am honestly not sure what will happen if we go from 4 -> 10
> (and for most of our team the horizon plugin is a blackbox),
> so this is a trip into the unknown :/

Yeah, we should upgrade nodejs considering its lifecycle.
Unfortunately, the horizon team have not been aware of this so far....
We need to migrate nodejs jobs to bionic at the early phase of Train.
All folks who set up JavaScript stuffs have gone and we need volunteers.
I added this to the horizon PTG topics.

Akihiro