[tc][all][sdk] Devs and feedback needed for 'Project Resource Cleanup' goal for Train cycle

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 16:27:27 UTC 2019

Hi Adrian,

This is a great goal that I look forward to seeing in OpenStack.

I don't have an opinion on where the code lives or if it is a plugin
model. Either way should work fine for us.

I do have two questions that I hope we can address early on though:

1. Should the service implement an API endpoint that does the business
logic/workflow or is it expected that the common code will somehow
encapsulate that?  For example, Octavia currently implements "cascade
delete" where you can ask it to delete all of the resources for a load
balancer. I expect we need a layer over this that will iterate across
the load balancers owned by a project. We could implement that in our
API, or we could expect the "common" code to address that. It might be
best to leave this to the service plugin, as in the case of Octavia,
these deletes can be done in parallel, but that might not be the case
for all services.
2. How are we going to handle objects that are in an immutable state?
For example, in Octavia if another user is performing an action on one
of the load balancers, that object is in an immutable "PENDING_UPDATE"
state until the action completes. This means executing a delete on it
would return a 409 conflict from the API.  I think we should decide if
this "global cleanup" should retry the delete and/or in the end just
make note of the issue and continue. If the service is handling the
cleanup, I could see Octavia retrying for a period of time and then
noting that it was unable to cleanup an object should it remain locked
by the controller for too long.

Michael