[placement] update 19-09

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Sat Mar 9 14:58:58 UTC 2019

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 3/8/2019 8:51 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
>> We need to decide if we want to do what amounts to a feature freeze
>> exception for Tetsuro's negative member-of handling linked below and
>> work out how/when to fit Mel's allocation ratio work on
>> osc-placement (also below) into the world so people can use it.
>
> Probably not surprisingly I'm a -1 on pushing this stuff in after feature
> freeze. We have two weeks to RC1 and people should be focusing on testing,
> bug triage, release notes and other feature documentation.

As part the docs aspect of this, I've made a story in storyboard,
and then added tasks to it as a I did a very fast (and incomplete)
review of the existing text files that we tend to include under the
umbrella of docs. There are 16 or so vague tasks which probably need
work.

     https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2005190

I wanted to be sure to get these tasks written down, so I used
storyboard, but I'm not sure that the way I did was the right
choice, but it's start [1].

I hope that as group we can start addressing these next week.
Feel free to assign a task to yourself if you're able, and add other
tasks.

On the member-of feature, I remain inclined to include it if we
agree a) it is low impact, and b) that strict adherence to
feature freeze in a project as simple as placement, though
important, is less  important than it is in something like nova. I
agree with both of those statement, but we should figure out what
the whole group thinks and go with that.

I won't be at the meeting on Monday (funeral), but that ^ registers
my thoughts on the matter. I hope people will figure something out
and also make some doc and other release-related plans.

> Also, I'm pretty sure there is nothing in either nova or blazar that is
> currently not going to merge in stein if this doesn't land in Stein, so based
> on that it can wait until Train IMO.

For me it has less to do with something waiting on it, and more to
do with making things available as they happen.

> As for the osc-placement change, I think we can also defer that to Train.
> It's been talked about since the Dublin PTG and is just now getting
> implemented, which is good, but also means it's apparently low priority for
> people and therefore can wait until Train (we won't have another
> osc-placement release in Stein anyway since clients are frozen now). Also,
> since it's a client, it will work with older versions of the placement API
> anyway, i.e. osc-placement in Train should work fine with placement from
> Queens, so again I don't see a rush here.

That's fine from my standpoint. My default position is if we have a
chance to get more stuff out we should try, but if we don't,
especially if there's not a lot of clamouring that's fine too.

In fact clamouring-oriented-development is probably a good strategy.

>> There were no nibbles on last week's plea, so I'll say again: If
>> anyone reading this is in a position to provide third party CI with
>> fancy hardware for NUMA, NFV, FPGA, and GPU related integration
>> testing with nova, there's a significant need for that.
>
> There is some discussion happening in OpenLab about this:
>
> https://github.com/theopenlab/openlab/issues/200

Thanks for that, looks like some potential. I have no idea how
people keeping track of all the change in our nearby universe
lately. At least we have pupdates.

[1] Adapting to storyboard is going to involve a lot of
experimenting. I think we can make good use of it, but it is
different from anything else I've used. To some extent it is an
abstraction that one can manipulate as one likes. That makes it
potentially powerful, but probably challenging for people who just
want to report a bug. We will almost certainly need to do more
triage than we've been used to in placement in the past.