[nova] Does anyone remember why server_group_members quota is enforced at the user rather than project level?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 15:08:46 UTC 2019

Change [1] in Juno added the server_groups and server_group_members quotas.

Server group quota is counted per project and user [2].

Server group member quota is only counted per group and user [3].

The question coming up in IRC today is why is the server group member
count not also constrained by project? Or is project implied since the
member count is within the scope of a group, which is itself per-project?

Note that the original change that added these quotas said, "They can be
defined per project or per user within a project".

Given none of the people that originally added this are around still
maintaining it, nor was there a spec (we didn't have specs in Juno),
we're left to guess as to the reasons.

If we changed the server_group_members quota enforcement to count per
group/project/user, would that break anything?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/104957/
[2]
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/caa37cf099933c5aed02dcdb256055e18479fe13/nova/api/openstack/compute/server_groups.py#L176
[3]