[neutron][devstack] Using git source for networking devstack based jobs

Boden Russell bodenvmw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 18:31:16 UTC 2019

If your networking project uses required projects (aka "Siblings") [1],
please read on.

It's recently come to our attention [2][3][4] that some required
networking projects are not being pulled from git source in devstack
based jobs. As a result, a number of networking gate jobs were impacted
[3]. While we have a short term fix in place, it doesn't solve the issue
longer term.

Today it's still not clear why some dependencies are coming from source
and others aren't [2]. However, before digging deeper, we should
probably step back and ensure we are heading down the right path.

The question is; do we want these devstack jobs using their dependencies
from git source, or should they be using tagged branches/releases of
them instead??

Using git source seems to increase development velocity; not having to
wait/coordinate on a tagged dependency, but at the same time it's also a
moving target.

My personal vote is to use git source; it will help maintain the
velocity of neutron-lib and other cross-project efforts.
It would be helpful to get some feedback from the other networking teams
on what approach they think would work best.

Thanks

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/zuulv3.html#installation-of-sibling-requirements
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1817555