performance issue with opendev gitea interface.

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Jun 27 13:48:14 UTC 2019

i have started this as a separate thread form the Github organization management
but it has been in the back of my mind as we are considering not syncing to gitub
going forward. for larger project like nova https://opendev.org/openstack/nova
preforms quite poorly

in both firefox and chome i am seeing ~ 15second before the first response form
opendev.org for nova.

os-vif or other smaller projects seem to respond ok but for nova it makes navigating the
code or liking code to other via opendev quite hard.

i brought this up on the infra irc a few weeks ago and asked if gitea had any kind of caching
and while the initial response was "we do not believe so".

before archiving or stopping syncing to github i was wondering if we could explore
options to improve the performace. if opendev.org is not currently fronted by a cdn perhaps
that would help.

Similarly looking at https://docs.gitea.io/en-us/config-cheat-sheet/ it may be possible to either
change the cache or database parameters to improve performance. I really don't know how gitea has
been deployed but at present the web interface is not usable in nova in a responsive manner
so i have continued to use github when linking code to others but it would be nice
to be able to use opendev instead.

regards
sean.