[tc] Assuming control of GitHub organizations

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jun 27 12:53:29 UTC 2019

Graham Hayes wrote:
> On 27/06/2019 09:55, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
>>> The opendev team reached out to me about handing off administrative
>>> access of
>>> the "openstack" and related organizations on GitHub. They think it
>>> would be
>>> best if the TC took control of that, or at least took control of
>>> delegating
>>> that access. In general, the goal here is to support OpenStack's
>>> presence and visibility on GitHub.
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Do TC members want to manage this, or should we delegate?
>
> I think we should manage it, but possibly allow the foundation to manage
> parts of it (pinning, descriptions, etc).
>
> For setting up syncing / creation of projects we should look at keeping
> that under the TC (that could be the TC or other group of people that
> step up)

I would be fine with that -- import descriptions from openstack-map to
avoid having to keep two separate sets up to date. In all cases the TC
should set the rules defining how "OpenStack" should look like there.

I offered Foundation resources because we may have trouble finding
volunteers to follow those rules and keep that publication clean over
time. That involves, for each new repo created in OpenStack, deciding if
it's one we would replicate or pin, and create a GitHub-side repo. For
each rename or deprecation, push the corresponding change. Not sure how
much of that boring job can be automated ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)