[devel] Fast flake8 testing

Sorin Sbarnea ssbarnea at redhat.com
Tue Jun 25 13:37:51 UTC 2019

Yeah, use pre-commit, the tool, not the git hook. At this moment it just rocks and was adopted by more and more openstack projects.

See http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=pre-commit&i=nope&files=.pre-commit-config.yaml&repos= <http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=pre-commit&i=nope&files=.pre-commit-config.yaml&repos=> for examples of projects using it (tox -e lint)

Mainly pre-commit does something similar but with almost any linter, including flake8.

Also has the ability to run only on changed files, runs nice under tox and has a much lower footprint (disk&cpu) than tox.

And a bit of shameless advertising about my 1year old article explaining it:
https://medium.com/@sbarnea/embracing-pre-commit-hooks-4ef1f4e72914 <https://medium.com/@sbarnea/embracing-pre-commit-hooks-4ef1f4e72914>