[nova] TPM passthrough

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 18:05:35 UTC 2019

On 6/20/2019 12:32 PM, Eric Fried wrote:
> I want to say you could probably get away with a specless blueprint,
> since we've been able to describe the problem and solution in like two
> dozen lines. Perhaps you want to start there and see if anyone complains.

As Resident Complainer I feel compelled to say there should at least be
a small spec (as I said in IRC). The question in this thread about how
to keep track of and know which devices are allocated is a good one that
is going to require some thought.

Also the thing not mentioned here (and usually not thought about early
on) is move operations and how those will be handled - what will and
will not be supported when you have a TPM passthrough device on a guest
and will there be any issues, e.g. resizing to/from a flavor with one of
these. If using a resource class for tracking inventory then scheduling
should be straight-forward, i.e. migration shouldn't pick a host that
can't support the flavor.

Matt