[nova]Bug #1829696: qemu-kvm process takes 100% CPU usage when running redhat/centos 7.6 guest OS

钱熙 qianxi416 at foxmail.com
Thu Jun 20 14:06:11 UTC 2019

Hi there,

I am struggling with qemu-kvm 100% CPU usage problem.
When running redhat or centos 7.6 guest os on vm,
the cpu usage is very low on vm(almost 100% idle when no tasks run), but on the host,
qemu-kvm reports 100% cpu busy usage.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1829696
I opened the bug above, however it did not find some interest.

After searching some related bugs report,
I suspect that it is due to the clock settings in vm's domain xml.
My settings are as follows:
    <clock offset='utc'>
      <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
      <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
      <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
    </clock>
And details about the bug, please see https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1829696

It shows that only the version 7.6 of redhat or centos affected by this bug behavior.
In my cluster, it is OK for versions from redhat or centos 6.8 to 7.5.

Any clue or suggestion?

         Thanks a lot!
Best regards

 QianXi