[Keystone] Performance degradation

Gary Kotton gkotton at vmware.com
Sun Jun 16 08:13:51 UTC 2019

Hi,
Over the last few weeks we have being doing performance tests on the Stein version and have seen a notable performance degradation. Further investigation showed that Keystone seems to be the bottleneck.
An example of this is running a Rally test that creates a keystone tenant with users. We see that in Queens this takes 20 seconds to complete the whole iteration whilst Stein takes 30 seconds. (please see the attached file)
We have done the following tests:

  1.  Vanilla devstack Queens vs Steins
  2.  In our Stein version e have swapped out the Keystone Stein container with the Keystone Queens container and the numbers are considerably better too (please note the same keystone configuration is used with regards to processes/threads etc.)
Are any folks familiar with what may cause this?
Are there any performance improvement suggestions or hints?
Thanks
Gary