[nova][ops] What should the compute service delete behavior be wrt resource providers with allocations?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 17:40:18 UTC 2019

On 6/12/2019 5:50 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> 1. Don't delete the compute service if we can't cleanup all resource
>> providers - make sure to not orphan any providers. Manual cleanup may be
>> necessary by the operator.
> I'd say that this option is ok-ish*IF*  the operators are given good
> enough directives saying what to do. It would really suck if we just get
> an error, and don't know what resource cleanup is needed. But if the
> error is:
>
> Cannot delete nova-compute on host mycloud-compute-5.
> Instances still running:
> 623051e7-4e0d-4b06-b977-1d9a73e6e6e1
> f8483448-39b5-4981-a731-5f4eeb28592c
> Currently live-migrating:
> 49a12659-9dc6-4b07-b38b-e0bf2a69820a
> Not confirmed migration/resize:
> cc3d4311-e252-4922-bf04-dedc31b3a425

I don't think we'll realistically generate a report like this for an
error response in the API. While we could figure this out, for the
baremetal case we could have hundreds of instances still managed by that
compute service host which is a lot of data to generate for an error
response.

I guess it could be a warning dumped into the API logs but it could
still be a lot of data to crunch and log.

Matt