[ironic] To not have meetings?

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 14:01:28 UTC 2019

Last week the discussion came up of splitting the ironic meeting to
alternate time zones as we have increasing numbers of contributors in
the Asia/Pacific areas of the world[0]. With that discussion, an
additional interesting question came up posing the question of
shifting to the mailing list instead of our present IRC meeting[1]?

It is definitely an interesting idea, one that I'm personally keen on
because of time zones and daylight savings time.

I think before we do this, we should collect thoughts and also try to
determine how we would pull this off so we don't forget the weekly
checkpoint that the meeting serves. I think we need to do something,
so I guess now is a good time to provide input into what everyone
thinks would be best for the project and facilitating the weekly
check-in.

What I think might work:

By EOD UTC Monday:

* Listed primary effort participants will be expected to update the
whiteboard[2] weekly before EOD Monday UTC
* Contributors propose patches to the whiteboard that they believe
would be important for reviewers to examine this coming week.
* PTL or designee sends weekly email to the mailing list to start an
update thread shortly after EOD Monday UTC  or early Tuesday UTC.
** Additional updates, questions, and topical discussion (new
features, RFEs) would ideally be wrapped up by EOD UTC Tuesday.

With that, I think we would also need to go ahead and begin having
"office hours" as during the week we generally know some ironic
contributors will be in IRC and able to respond to questions. I think
this would initially consist of our meeting time and perhaps the other
time that seems to be most friendly to the contributors int he
Asia/Pacific area[3].

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions welcome!

-Julia

[0]: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-ironic/%23openstack-ironic.2019-06-03.log.html#t2019-06-03T15:31:33