[glance] zeroing image, preserving other parameters

Volodymyr Litovka doka.ua at gmx.com
Wed Jun 5 12:34:52 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

for some reasons, I need to shrink image size to zero (freeing storage
as well), while keeping this record in Glance database.

First which come to my mind is to delete image and then create new one
with same name/uuid/... and --file /dev/null, but this is impossible
because Glance don't really delete records from database, marking them
as 'deleted' instead.
Next try was to use glance image-upload from /dev/null, but this is also
prohibited with message "409 Conflict: Image status transition from
[activated, deactivated] to saving is not allowed (HTTP 409)"
I found
https://docs.openstack.org/glance/rocky/contributor/database_architecture.html#glance-database-public-api's
"image_destroy" but have no clues on how to access this API. Is it kind
of library or kind of REST API, how to access it and whether it's safe
to use it in terms of longevity and compatibility between versions?

Or, may be, you can advise any other methods to solve the problem of
zeroing glance image data / freeing storage, while keeping in database
just a record about this image?

Thank you.

--
Volodymyr Litovka
   "Vision without Execution is Hallucination." -- Thomas Edison