[kolla][tripleo] Python 3, CentOS/RHEL 8

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Wed Jun 5 09:11:06 UTC 2019

Hi,

At the recent kolla virtual PTG [1], we discussed the move to python 3
images in the Train cycle. hrw has started this effort for
Ubuntu/Debian source images [2] and is making good progress.

Next we will need to consider CentOS and RHEL. It seems that for Train
RDO will provide only python 3 packages with support for CentOS 8 [3].
There may be some overlap in the trunk (master) packages where there
is support for both CentOS 7 and 8. We will therefore need to combine
the switch to python 3 with a switch to a CentOS/RHEL 8 base image.

Some work was started during the Stein cycle to support RHEL 8 images
with python 3 packages. There will no doubt be a few scripts that need
updating to complete this work. We'll also need to test to ensure that
both binary and source images work in this new world.

Tripleo team - what are your plans for CentOS/RHEL 8 and python 3 this
cycle? Are you planning to continue the work started in kolla during
the Stein release?

Thanks,
Mark

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kolla-train-ptg