[infra] fetch-zuul-cloner and permissions (was: redefining devstack)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jun 4 20:50:02 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-04 17:32:41 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> Change https://review.openstack.org/512285 which added the chmod
> task includes a rather prescient comment from Paul about not adding
> it to the mirror-workspace-git-repos role because "we might not want
> to chmod 777 on no-legacy jobs." Unfortunately I think we failed to
> realize that it already would because we had added fetch-zuul-cloner
> to our base job a month earlier in
> https://review.openstack.org/501843 for reasons which are not
> recorded in the change (presumably a pragmatic compromise related to
> the scramble to convert our v2 jobs at the time, I did not resort to
> digging in IRC history just yet).

David Shrewsbury reminded me that the reason was we didn't have a
separate legacy-base job yet at the time fetch-zuul-cloner was
added, so it initially went into the normal base job.

> Soon after, we added fetch-zuul-cloner to the main "legacy" pre
> playbook with https://review.opendev.org/513067 and prepared to
> test its removal from the base job with
> https://review.opendev.org/513079 but that was never completed and
> I can't seem to find the results of the testing (or even any
> indication it was ever actually performed).
>
> At this point, I feel like we probably just need to re-propose an
> equivalent of 513079 in our base-jobs repository,

Proposed as https://review.opendev.org/663135 and once that merges
we should be able to...

> exercise it with some DNM changes running a mix of legacy imported
> v2 and modern v3 native jobs, announce a flag day for the cut
> over, and try to help address whatever fallout we're unable to
> predict ahead of time. This is somewhat complicated by the need to
> also do something similar in https://review.opendev.org/656195
> with the bindep "fallback" packages list, so we're going to need
> to decide how those two efforts will be sequenced, or whether we
> want to combine them into a single (and likely doubly-painful)
> event.

During the weekly Infrastructure team meeting which just wrapped up,
we decided go ahead and combine the two cleanups for maximum pain
and suffering. ;)

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/infra/2019/infra.2019-06-04-19.01.log.html#l-207

Tentatively, we're scheduling the removal of the fetch-zuul-cloner
role and the bindep fallback package list from non-legacy jobs for
Monday June 24. The details of this plan will of course be more
widely disseminated in the coming days, assuming we don't identify
any early blockers.
--
Jeremy Stanley