[qa][openstack-ansible] redefining devstack

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Jun 4 18:15:09 UTC 2019

Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> writes:

> On 6/4/19 7:39 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>
>> Do all projects and all jobs have to be converted at once? Or ever?
>
> Perhaps not all at once, but I would say they all need to be converted
> eventually or we end up in the situation Dean mentioned where we have to
> maintain two different deployment systems. I would argue that's much
> worse than just continuing with devstack as-is. On the other hand,
> practically speaking I don't think we can probably do them all at once,
> unless there are a lot fewer devstack plugins in the wild than I think
> there are (which is possible). Also, I suspect there may be downstream
> plugins running in third-party ci that need to be considered.

I think we can't do them all at once. We can never do anything all at
once; we're too big.

I don't think we should have a problem saying that devstack is frozen
for new features but will continue to run as-is, and new things should
use the replacement (when it is available). As soon as the new thing can
provide a bridge with *some* level of support for plugins, we could
start transitioning as teams have time and need. Jesse's proposal to
rewrite devstack plugins as ansible roles may give us that bridge.

> That said, while I expect this would be _extremely_ painful in the short
> to medium term, I'm also a big proponent of making the thing developers
> care about the same as the thing users care about. However, if we go
> down this path I think we need sufficient buy in from a diverse enough
> group of contributors that losing one group (see OSIC) doesn't leave us
> with a half-finished migration. That would be a disaster IMHO.

Oh, yes. We would need this not to be a project undertaken by a group of
people from one funding source. It needs to be a shift in direction of
the community as a whole to improve our developer and testing tools.

--
Doug