[Nova][Ironic] Reset Configurations in Baremetals Post Provisioning

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Mon Jun 3 18:37:25 UTC 2019

Hi Madhuri-

>     For this purpose, we would need to change a trait of the server’s
>     flavor in Nova. This trait is mapped to a deploy step in Ironic
>     which does some operation(change BIOS config and reboot in this use
>     case).____

If your trait was something that wasn't tracked in the flavor (or
elsewhere in the instance's db record), you could just update it
directly in placement. Then you'd have to figure out how to make ironic
notice that and effect the change. (Or perhaps the other way around:
tell ironic you want to make the change, and it updates the trait in
placement as part of the process.)

>     In Nova, the only API to change trait in flavor is resize whereas
>     resize does migration and a reboot as well.____
>
>     In short, I am  looking for a Nova API that only changes the traits,
>     and trigger the ironic deploy steps but no reboot and migration.
>     Please suggest.____

It's inconvenient, but I'm afraid "resize" is the right way to get this
done, because that's the only way to get the appropriate validation and
changes effected in the general case.

Now, there's a spec [1] we've been talking about for ~4.5 years that
would let you do a resize without rebooting, when only a certain subset
of properties are being changed. It is currently proposed for "upsizing"
CPU, memory, and disk, and adding PCI devices, but clearly this ISS
configuration would be a reasonable candidate to include.

In fact, it's possible that leading the charge with something this
unobtrusive would reduce some of the points of contention that have
stalled the blueprint up to this point.

Food for thought.

Thanks,
efried