Slow instance launch times due to RabbitMQ

Grant Morley grant at civo.com
Wed Jul 31 09:14:18 UTC 2019

Hi all,

We are randomly seeing slow instance launch / deletion times and it
appears to be because of RabbitMQ. We are seeing a lot of these messages
in the logs for Nova and Neutron:

ERROR oslo.messaging._drivers.impl_rabbit [-]
[f4ab3ca0-b837-4962-95ef-dfd7d60686b6] AMQP server on 10.6.2.212:5671 is
unreachable: Too many heartbeats missed. Trying again in 1 seconds.
Client port: 37098: ConnectionForced: Too many heartbeats missed

The RabbitMQ cluster isn't under high load and I am not seeing any
packets drop over the network when I do some tracing.

We are only running 15 compute nodes currently and have >1000 instances
so it isn't a large deployment.

Are there any good configuration tweaks for RabbitMQ running on
OpenStack Queens?

Many Thanks,

--

Grant Morley