Forcing restart of a worker node with running guest

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 16:04:10 UTC 2019

So one of my worker nodes is, to put it mildly, rather unhappy:

Message from syslogd at openstack-w1 at Jul 25 15:57:49 ...
 kernel:NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#3 stuck for 22s!
[vnc_worker:9141]

Message from syslogd at openstack-w1 at Jul 25 15:57:57 ...
 kernel:NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#10 stuck for 22s!
[migration/10:60]

Message from syslogd at openstack-w1 at Jul 25 15:58:05 ...
 kernel:NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#8 stuck for 22s!
[migration/8:49]

I found out when it was taking 30 min to delete a guest. So, what I can do
in a forceful way?

1. How to kill the guest? Can I kill it through virsh or openstack compute
service will get sad?
2. What would happen if I stop the compute service?
3. What would happen if I get really annoyed and tell worker node to reboot?